Our client based in Malham is looking to recruit an Assistant Cook on a full time basis.
This is a permanent seasonal position. The core season normally starts in April and runs until November each year.
Duties will include:
- Cooking and delivery of breakfast (earliest usually 7.45 am) and evening meals (latest usually 6.30 pm) for up to 120 residential visitors, and occasional meals for non-residential groups, in accordance with health and hygiene regulations
- Preparation of home-baked items for packed lunches / refreshments
- Assisting with the monitoring and recording of all catering functions in accordance with safe catering practices e.g. HACCP, Safer Food Better Business
- Assisting with the compilation of a varied range of menus to satisfy differing user groups, taking account of special diets and the ‘healthy eating’ agenda using, where practicable, local, organic and fair trade ingredients
- Laying up tables for breakfasts and evening meals for resident groups and, on occasions, for morning coffee, lunches and afternoon tea for day groups
- Serving hot meals at breakfasts and dinners and assisting customers during service
- Setting out refreshments for staff at weekday mid-morning breaks
- Clearing, washing up and drying crockery, cutlery and other cooking utensils from the dining room and kitchens
- Safely operating the dishwasher and other mechanical/electrical equipment (after appropriate training)
- Receiving deliveries and ensuring they are checked and correctly stored on arrival
- Preparing sandwich fillings and packed lunch materials
- Maintaining cleanliness and hygiene throughout the dining room, kitchen, pantry and other storage areas, based on daily and weekly cleaning rotas
- Assisting with sourcing suppliers and placing orders
- Ensuring that tea/coffee making areas for visitors are kept clean and stocked
- Providing lunches for staff on duty
- Participating in the cleaning, upkeep and decorating of the kitchen and dining area in off-peak times.
- Previous catering experience
- Relevant catering qualification
- Level 2 Food Hygiene certificate
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs or appropriate vocational experience
- Customer service experience
- Full valid Driving Licence
- First Aid qualification .
Hours of work - 40 hours per week, shifts generally being over 5 days either 7-3pm or 12-8pm and a couple of splits 7-11am and 4pm-8pm.
Rate of Pay - £8.54 per hour.